Welcome to my MS CCSVI research fundraising blog. I am currently training for a double (ultra - 4.8 mile swim, 224 mile bike, 52.4 mile run) ironman in September of 2010 in an effort to fundraise for MS CCSVI research. You can check out my fundraiser site at http://www.microgiving.com/profile/chuck. I suggest clicking on the "About Me" tab as the MicroGiving.com templates were a little limiting so the profile page did not allow me to add all the content I wanted to add. MicroGiving.com does not keep any of the donations for administration/overhead fee. That means 100% of your donation goes directly to fund CCSVI MS research. For more information about CCSVI you can go to http://csvi-ms.net/en/content/ccsvi-huge-breakthrough-ms. Please help spread the word about my fundraising efforts. Thanks.


Sunday, June 27, 2010

6/25 & 6/26 workouts

I rode 150 miles. 40 miles were outside from 5:00 AM - 7:00 AM, 70 miles in the trainer from 1:00 - 4:15 PM, and 40 from 7:00-8:50 PM. All and all it was a good day. My energy was low in the AM, but after a small nap I was able to put together some solid efforts in the latter 2 bike sessions.

Yesterday I attended a swim meet for the kids. The meet lasted from 8:00 AM - 3:30 PM. It was outdoors with the heat reaching 102 degrees. I did everything I could to stay hydrated in hopes of getting in my long run.

My run started at 6:30 PM. My target was 8 loops of a 4.15 mile loop. The first 3 loops went well. I was very relaxed and feeling good. I stopped at the half way mark of each of the first 3 loops to stretch a little (1-2 min breaks). I started to get greedy and ran loops 4-7 without the mid point stretch. This worked well until the second half of if the 7th loop. My knees started to get stiff and I started to struggle. I did not end up completing the 8th loop. My knees were really stiff and I could no longer move along comfortably. The run ended up being 32 miles. It is my longest run yet and I learned a lot...

-I wanted to experience running while tired... Accomplished. After being out in the sun all day and riding 150 miles the day before I definitely started the run tired.
-I wanted to experience running during an hour I would normally be sleeping... Accomplished. I did not finish the run until after 11:00 PM. It was a lot harder mentally to push past the body being tired and the mind telling me that I should be sleeping.
-I learned to respect the distance. Right now my race strategy is to run 1.8-1.9 miles of each 2 mile run loop and walk up the hill conserving energy and taking a little time to stretch during that small walk break.

No comments:

Post a Comment